If you are travelling to London and are a vegetarian or planning to be one, this is the right city for you! London is widely known for having cuisines from all over the world and vegetarianism has a very special place in it. Here are five steps to get you started.
- Street Markets – Street markets are pretty much everywhere in London. They take place on certain days according to their location. Why is going to a street markets such a good idea? Easy. There,you can find fresh fruits and veggies for a very reasonable price, usually cheaper than anywhere else. Go during morning and keep in mind if you get there too late, the products might be not that fresh anymore but you could get a discount because of that.
- Supermarkets – Besides fruits and vegetables, supermarkets are a great spot for getting frozen and ready meals. Loads of different brands offer meat free option but keep an eye out for Quorn, Cauldron and Linda McCartney as they are exclusive vegetarian. You literally can find anything going from sliced ham to steaks. There’s also the supermarket’s brands or a “free from section”. And trust me, they are all very tasty!
- Vegetarian Restaurants – Don’t worry if you are not really into cooking or just want have a break over the weekend, as I said before, this city offers thousands of different restaurants and great vegetarian ones. They go from the more casual ones like Mildred’s Camden to the more gourmet dish ones like Vanilla Black. Google and Happy Cow (an amazing online guide!) can list other places near you.
- Vegetarian-friendly Restaurants – Even if you don’t find a vegetarian restaurant near you, there’s no need to freak out! Most restaurants/cafes have vegetarian options on their menu. It’s very common around here. If you are looking for a quick snack you can always try Pret a Manger or Costa. They are on every corner.
- Takeaway – Takeaway can save you time. You can do that over the phone or online. I personally like to order food from a place called Asia Villa and also through an app called Just Eat where you can refine the type of cuisine you want and voila! It shows you a list with the name and address of the restaurant along with opening hours and its star ratings.
As you can see being a vegetarian in London is easy-peasy! Looking forward to hearing your experiences! Cheerio!