The Advantages of Audiobooks
As mentioned in a previous blog entry, reading is a vital skill for improving English language ability. However, reading in another language can be challenging for some people. Another option to improve your ability comes in the form of Audiobooks. Rather than read one yourself, you can listen to a book being read aloud.
Audiobooks provide a great opportunity to learn and improve in another language and can actually do a lot to enhance the reading experience and is a less intensive option for absorbing narrative.
The advantages include:
- It makes it easier to read. Students are found to be able to read the same text more comprehensively upon revisiting the material.
- You can practice your English on the go – rather than sitting down and reading a book you can listen on your commute home or while preparing dinner increasing your intake of English.
- Students’ listening and comprehension skills are shown to improve when they regularly absorb story through orally-delivered means.
- They aid pronunciation. These books provide great examples of natural intonation, pronunciation and sentences rhythm helping you sound more natural and colloquial.
- Listening to text being read aloud has certain advantages in lessening the distractibility factor for students who struggle to focus.
- Students gain a deeper understanding of the nuances of the English language (syntax, pronunciation, emphasis, etc.) when they hear the words read aloud.
- Listening to audiobooks and/or podcasts often stimulate us to become interested in original texts and transcripts of what they listen to, thereby leading them to practice more traditional reading.
Technology today makes it possible for students to access many resources which offer totally free versions of audiobooks and informative podcasts. While there are abundant audiobooks covering classic literature and contemporary academic text, there are also podcasts that can give students insight into the modern world culture and the state of popular fiction and non-fiction. Additionally, social media video-sharing sites like Youtube often have free videos uploaded of an audiobook being narrated.
There are several audiobooks available in our Library available at different levels for the more experienced and confident and those just wanting to start.