Here is some important information that you should know before coming to the UK.
The currency in the UK is pound sterling. Euro is not used in the UK.
Travelling in London
You can’t pay for the bus with cash. People use either Oyster Card (plastic travelcard which you can top up) or their contactless credit or debit card.
In shops and restaurants tax is included in the price of the product. If a product says it is £5.99 then you pay £5.99.
It is customary to tip if you have a sit down meal. You normally tip about 10% of the meal. Be careful to check the bill and see if they have automatically added it on. If they have then don’t leave any extra money.
If you want to get the attention of a barman or a waitress in a restaurant do not shout at them or whistle. Try to make eye contact with them or even just say ‘ excuse me’. If you do shout at them or whistle you will be ignored.
When you get on the tube or a crowded bus please do the following:
- Move down the carriage.
- Take off your backpack if you are wearing one.
- Do not put your shopping or belonging onto an empty seat.
- Do not put your feet on the seats.
- Please be aware that there are priority seats on all means of transport in London.
- If you are listening to music, please make sure that you are the only person who can hear it.