Everything you need to know to get your British Citizenship
In order to get the British citizenship, you need to have some requirements met and carefully read the information contained in the documents you will need to fill. Alongside an acceptable knowledge of the English language at an intermediate level; there is also the Life in the UK test, which are both requirements for being granted citizenship. Being of good character, meeting the residency requirements, and having the intention of residing in the Uk are also areas that we offer guidance directing you to the relevant bodies for assistance. To know in more detail the requirements to apply go to UK Government.
The form and the fee
The form to be filled has 30 pages and requires detailed information about your residence at the last 5 years in the Uk. You will have to include all the trips you’ve made during this period, so be aware of organizing all this information when filling the form. Furthermore, you will have to fill any criminal convictions and register your biometric information on the nearest post office. More information here.
The fee for the application may vary depending on each case but for adults applying for British citizenship costs £1282. You also may have some expenses with the documents and post the full application in the post office. Fees are only be refundable if applications are unsuccessful. More information about the fees here.
The documents to apply for the British Citizenship
In summary, the documents you will need to present are:
- Your passport;
- Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test;
- Certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification;
- If you want to validate your academic qualification:
- Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognized standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom;
- an original academic reference from the institution awarding the academic qualification that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name and the title of the award;
- Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 years:
- Your passport or letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in the UK;
- Evidence of settlement for applicants from Switzerland or the European Economic:
- Your valid passport or valid EEA national identity card as evidence of your nationality;
- A permanent residence card issued by UKVI;
- If you don’t have an EEA:
- Your passport showing permission to remain permanently in the UK;
- Your spouse’s or civil partner’s current passport or naturalization/registration certificate showing that he/she is a British citizen;
- The marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate Form;
- A letter from the relevant employer confirming date and place of recruitment; position held, and the extent to which it would be in the employer’s interests for the application to be granted;
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate
Find the forms in here.
According to reliable sources, in 2015 over 10,000 applications were refused. 5% of those were because there was insufficient or incorrect English Language qualifications, and there was no pass certificate for the Life in the UK test.
Why doing the Life in the Uk Exam preparation course is the best option?
If you are applying for indefinite leave to remain in the Uk OR British citizenship that you must demonstrate that you have sufficient “knowledge of life and language in the UK”. Hence, LVC offers a comprehensive preparation course geared to ensuring that candidates who enrol are adequately furnished with vital facts, figures and dates required to pass the actual test. It is a One week intensive course taught by qualified teachers who apply positive, interactive methods of teaching and course material so that success is guaranteed, as long as students are committed to completion of the programme.
Do you know how well you would score? Do a quick test here and check it!